Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Grace of a Puppy

I spend most of my free time with Lola in her final weeks. It has allowed me plenty of opportunities to study her and see the things I didn't bother to notice before. I have come to realize what grace she has. She is slowly, well, actually, quickly, dying inside, but yet she finds the new in everything. She carries herself as if today is not her last day. She gains interest in the slightest thing as if everything is wondrous. But most importantly, she acts so brave. My dog is a shining example of grace and how to capture each moment and make the most of each day.

I often wonder if she realizes how dire her condition is. There is a part of me that hopes she never realizes what horrible disease has attacked her body. She doesn't have to live with the knowledge that today could be her last. However, there is a flip side to this. She is so unsuspecting and that breaks my heart. Breaks my heart to know that this spunky little girl is living on borrowed time, and she doesn't even know it.

My puppy has grace. She is grace, my saving grace. Puppies can really make everything better. I truly believe that. I don't think it is Chicken Soup for the Soul, but rather, Puppies for the Soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment