Thursday, September 29, 2011

San Jose Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon Prep

Sunday I will do something I haven't done before; run a 1/2 marathon as a training run. This is a new phenomenon for me. Run a race, but not really race it, just use it as practice? How is that even possible? If you know me at all, I have zero patience and rarely play by the rules. However, come Sunday, I will try and use this 13.1 miles as any other training run. I won't go out too fast. I won't compete with those around me. I won't mentally psych myself up for getting a PR (personal record). I will simply lace up my shoes, go out and imagine running with my closest 15K friends.

Sunday is the San Jose Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon; and only my 3rd half marathon overall. I'm excited to see how it goes and see if I can practice the art of "patience grasshopper"; the infamous words of my dad. Two weeks from Sunday is "race day". The Nike Womens full marathon in San Francisco.

On a side note, two things not in my favor for the 1/2 this Sunday. Well, three really:
  1. I woke up with a sore throat and not feeling well today (after being in Dallas all week)
  2. I haven't run since last week due to work travels
  3. I am still completely sore from my first soccer game in 21 years last Sunday
Well, here is to being patient. I even laugh as I write that.

No comments:

Post a Comment